It was my day to post, wasn’t it? It was also the first day back with students, and I completely lost track. So here are some shiny toy surprises and I promise I’ll have something brilliant for you next Tuesday.
– 9 Things Parents Should Know About District Nine We saw District Nine this weekend, and I thought it was stunning. I am, however, surprised that any parent would think it was suitable for young children. Yes, there are aliens, but not every movie with aliens is E.T. or Wall-E.
– 7 Essential Fantasy Reads: Going To Second Base An interesting list, even though there are a couple of titles I think belong in the beginner list. I’d have included Tim Powers’ The Anubis Gates and Roger Zelazny’s Nine Princes in Amber, myself. What titles would you recommend for a beginning fantasy reader who’s ready to take the next step?
– Most reality TV is a brain suck, but every now and then something neat comes along. Discovery Channel’s The Colony is different and interesting. There are flaws, sure – no one is in actual physical danger, and the colonists are an unusually well-educated bunch, but at least we don’t have to see a weekly catfight between Melana and Suzi over who used the last of the lip gloss.
– Having trouble coming up with a title for your masterpiece? Try Seventh Sanctum’s Weird Name Generator. Now I’ve got to come up with a story to fit “The Final Blue Contemplator That Steals Always”. *hee*
– One of these days, I’m going to join in on an Improv Everywhere stunt.