Morning all. Or evening, depending opon when you get to MW.
Before I get started — Just an aside: Raven Cursed, the fourth Jane Yellowrock novel, came out on the 3rd. If you haven’t seen the cover, here it is, though it is much prettier in perosn — the green foil of my name is gor-je-mous!
On to the post. AJ’s and David’s first posts of the year got me thinking about goals for 2012. (Not resolutions—I will never call them that, because I am useless at following through on things that sound firm and written in stone.) So I pulled up last year’s goals to take a peek. You know, the old, “I can’t move ahead until I have covered my trail,” syndrome. I think writers in particular are easily brought under thrall to that attitude, maybe as a part of following a plot trail from beginning to end, or something. Or maybe that’s just me, seeing the world only through the eyes of my own experience. Anyway. So, I went back and pulled up last year’s goals post. (grins) I was surprised, pleased, and dismayed at the things I planned/wanted to do for 2011, and the things I actually accomplished, so I thought that I’d share. Here is an abbreviated version of last year’s goals and my own personal results.
- I have been getting healthy for the last year (a 2010 goal). Regular exercise, eating well. This year, I’m adding regular weight lifting to my health regimen. Hmmm. 12 months later: Not so much. I had some health issues that kept me away from the weights especially after August. But I started back on the weights last week, so I am finally on the way to this one!
- Get my writing room finished. I also need a new desk chair. 12 months later: The new desk chair is great! Writing room is painted, but stalled. The cabinets have not yet been built and the desk still faces into the wall instead of into the windows out over the deck. Sigh. I really am ready for this room to happen, but this is the hubby’s department, and the contractor disappeared. We’ve hired a new one, who actually started last Tuesday, turning the deck out back into a screen porch with his hammer-shaped magic wand. As I am writing this, there is the sound of saws and hammers and things falling with loud booms. Whoot!
- I’ll set special time apart for the hubby, doing the things we love… More rivers to paddle! 12 months later: Due to the aforementioned health problem I’ve done little paddling since August, but I am back in the saddle (okay, boat) and thinking about rivers.
- Lose the dang pounds I put on over the holidays. 12 months later: Done. Plus a few more. YEA! More weight to lose, however, and muscles to tone.
- Write 3 short stories in January. 12 months later: Done. Plus the novella with Catie Murphy, which jut went live on Amazon. Plus the books and rewrites. I did good on that.
- Finish the rewrite of the AKA’s (Gwen’s) last book in February. 12 months later: Done. It was printed (100 copies) before the publisher pulled it because a NYC agent liked it and wanted to submit it to bigger presses. We’ll see how that goes.
- Finish the role playing game / world book Rogue Mage, set in Thorn St. Croix’s world. 12 months later: Sorta done. It is too long so we are dividing it up into two parts (maybe three parts) and Kickstarting it.
- This takes me up to March for my writing goals. In early March I want to start another (the 5th) Jane Yellowrock novel. 12 months later: Done.
- Attend all the cons I have signed up for. 12 months later: Done.
Over all, I am happy with my 2011 goals. And I am now thinking about my 2012 goals, which are smaller in nature, but maybe bigger in heart.
- Regular exercise, eat well, regular weight lifting. Lose ten more pounds.
- Get my writing room finished, with cabinets and desk facing in a better direction. Get the new screen porch finished. (Contractor is out there now!) Get several rooms (interior of house) painted.
- Paddle more rivers.
- Start back down a spiritual path. I have been un-spiritual for the last couple of years, and that leaves an emptiness inside me. I need that dark place to be filled. (I’m not talking religion, here. To me, spirituality is different from religion.) I write better when I commune with nature and pray and study and meditate. I am more centered. More flexible mentally and emotionally. Less mean. Less mouthy. 😆 J
- Turn down more things. Say *No* more often. Accept no shorts for 2012.
- Write 2 books and finish the fiction for part two of the Rogue Mage RPG. That’s it. Nothing else, writing wise. (I am about 2/3 done with the additional RM fiction, so this goal looks likely.)
- Finish Kickstarting the Rogue Mage role playing game / world book, set in Thorn St. Croix’s world. This is different from writing it. This is the financing part of the deal.
- Attend four or five cons.
- Chose a charity to link myself and my name to. I am looking at a couple of clean water charities, groups who provide wells for drinking water to third world villages. St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital is also a candidate.
That’s it. The list is shorter and sweeter than last year’s goals.
Now that we are well into the year, how did you guys do on last year’s goals and how do you feel about this year?
And hey – if you haven’t bought Raven Cursed, um, did I mention that it’s out, yes?