Monday holidays; gotta love ’em. I believe it was Memorial Day when I wrote the Fantasy-Themed Songs post. I’d check to make certain, but the MW site doesn’t seem to be working, at least not from my home. Anyway, this being July 4th, which is a fairly big deal here in our little town, I’m going to be away from my computer for much of the day. But I wanted to come up with something else along the same lines as that Memorial Day post.
And so, today’s Holiday list is . . . .
Summer Blockbuster Movies I’d Like to See!!
1) SKINWALKER, based on the novel of the same title by Faith Hunter. Starring Angelina Jolie as Jane Yellowrock and Jennifer Aniston as her sometimes hostile alter-ego, Beast. Let’s face it: we’ve seen too many bad movies about Vamps recently. We need something elegant and literary to cleanse the public palette. And I think it’s high time these two actresses worked together . . .
2) MAD KESTREL, based on the novel of the same title by Misty Massey. Starring Jessica Alba as Kes and Hugh Jackman as McAvery. With all due respect to Johnny Depp, we need a pirate movie about someone other than Jack Sparrow, and it would be nice to see a woman saving a guy this time around. Besides, Jessica Alba? Hugh Jackman? I’d pay to see them together.
3) ACT OF WILL, based on the novel of the same title by A.J. Hartley. The casting for this one is a little tricky. Who should play Will Hawthorne? I’m tempted to go with Shia LaBeouf. He’s young, good-looking enough to be believable, but not so gorgeous that it wouldn’t work with the character. I know, the Transformer thing is a blot on his resume, but did you ever see HOLES? There’s still an actor buried in there somewhere. Oh, and Emma Watson as Renthrette. Unconventional, I know, but I think it would work. Besides, I figure I can make A.J.’s head explode just by suggesting it.
4) ROBIN HOOD, based on the novelization by David B. Coe, which was based on the script, which was based on the legend, which was based, it sometimes seems, on naught at all. Starring Russell . . . Oh, wait. I think this has been done.
5) THIEFTAKER, based on the novel of the same title by D. B. Jackson. Starring Robert Downey, Jr. as Ethan Kaille, and Eliza Dushku as his rival, Sephira Pryce. Downey has been through almost as much in his life as Ethan has, and he has the mature good looks needed for the part. And Eliza Dushku has the combination of sultry beauty and attitude to make Sephira’s character come to life.
6) Straying from our books a bit, don’t jump all over me, but I would really love to see George Lucas get back in the studio and put together parts seven through nine of the Star Wars saga. No cross-promotions with McDonald’s this time. No giving in to the cheap Jar-Jar laughs and the demand for little cute furry creatures. Just real old-fashioned movie-making of the type he used to do. I would love to see that.
7) And to round things out, I remain hopeful that we will see Orson Scott Card’s ENDER’S GAME on the big screen sometime very soon. The project has been in the works for some time now, but it has been delayed by personnel issues and other problems. It is a phenomenal book and could be a terrific movie. Let’s hope it happens eventually.
So what movies would you like to see? Happy Fourth of July, everyone!
David B. Coe